Saturday, October 19, 2013

We can’t run and hide

 

I just finished watching The Village for the 4th or 5th time. It’s one of my all time favorite movies. It’s a suspenseful thriller, not a horror movie, which is just the kind I love to watch.

I realized something afterward this time. The movie has always appealed to that part of me that would love to go off with a safe group of friends and family and start our own little ‘village’. Safe from the evils and terrors of this world. Safe from the thieves, rapists and murderers. A world apart from the world. How I would love to protect my children from all of the garbage that goes on- but I can’t. No matter where we live or who we live with there will be sorrows, even evils. Satan still tempts people who don’t own cars or have access to the internet. There will always be a Cain.

So rather than shelter my children, I will tell them about the evils in this world. They will have to learn to shelter their own minds as I have learned to do. They will have to learn, as I have learned, that we always have a choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment